Mission: The EMS FDNY Help Fund is a 501(c)(3). The funds that we raise are designated expressly for the Emergency Medical Technicians & Paramedics of the FDNY. Our mission is to ensure the security of our Emergency Medical Technicians and Paramedics and their families in the event of death, injury, illness or hardship. We seek to provide our dedicated EMS professionals with peace of mind.
The EMS FDNY Help Fund currently has two programs:
- We were founded to support FDNY EMS members who are undergoing financial hardship and need financial assistance.
Here is the application for that Financial Assistance.
- We are aware that the stresses of the pandemic may be weighing on our FDNY EMS and we have partnered with the NYC Trauma Recovery Network to provide confidential counseling services in the form of EMDR. EMDR—Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) is a psychotherapy approach that was designed to treat trauma, by alleviating the distress associated with traumatic memories. It is a short-term therapy where processing every detail of the incident is not necessary in order to heal and have relief.
- Other confidential mental health services are available through NYC Trauma Recovery Network and another partner, National Institute for Psychotherapies—for instance psychotherapy, medication consults, etc. The EMS FDNY Help Fund has raised funds to pay any associated costs.
- We provide one place to start with these EMS FDNY Help Fund supported, confidential mental health services: https://www.nyctrn.org/request-services
- We welcome your donations to support our services.
EMS FDNY Help Fund Board of Directors:
John Manning, Board Chairperson
John Manning is currently the Special Events Coordinator at the Fire Department City of New York.
Vincent Variale, Vice Chair
Vinny Variale is President at Uniformed EMS Officers Union FDNY, Local 3621 and a Lieutenant at the Fire Department City of New York.
John McGuire, Treasurer
John McGuire is a Paramedic Lieutenant at the Fire Department City of New York and a Paramedic at the Jericho Fire District.
Carl Gandalfo, Recording Secretary
Carl Gandolfo is a Paramedic at the Fire Department City of New York. He is also Recording Secretary of The Uniformed EMTs, Paramedics & Fire Inspectors – F.D.N.Y. – Local 2507.
Anthony Almojera, Director
Anthony Almojera is a lieutenant paramedic and vice president of the Fire Department of New York's Emergency Medical Services officers' union, Local 3621. With more than 17 years of experience, Anthony has been on the frontline responding to the outbreak of COVID-19 in New York City.
Michael Greco, Director
Mike Greco is a Paramedic and Vice President of FDNY EMS Local 2507. A member of the New York City Fire Department since 2008 where he started as an Emergency Medical Technician. In 2011 he became a Paramedic and shortly thereafter became Haz-Tac certified. Mr. Greco has been a steward to local 2507 since 2011 and became borough coordinator for the union in 2013. In 2017 Mr. Greco was elected Vice President of Local 2507, where he currently serves.
Khadijah Hall, Director
Khadijah Hall is an Emergency Medical Specialist-EMT of the Fire Department City of New York. She was awarded the Isaac Liberman Public Service Award at the 2018 Hundred Year Association of New York Public Service Awards.
James Hamilton, Director
Jaime Hamilton is an attorney specializing in e-discovery.
Gary Miller, Director
Captain Gary Miller retired in July 2020 after 32 years of EMS service in the Fire Department City of New York.
Manuel Ramos, Director
Manny Ramos is a recently retired lieutenant paramedic from the Fire Department City of New York.
Kathleen Knuth, Director
Kathleen Knuth is currently Division Commander of EMS BHS and EMS & Civilian Workers Compensation at the FDNY. Kathleen Knuth also serves on the Board of the Honor Emergency Fund of the FDNY.
Danielle Gustafson is the Executive Director.